Yesterday I fiddled with toning cyanotype. First experiments were fairly positive, with two, maybe three out of eight working out.
I used green tea.
Wet the print, then a bath in a tray with 2L water mixed with a spoonful of washing soda. The bleaching was quick and noticeable.
Then in a tray with green tea for about three minutes.
Then into a tray with water/H202 mix, really just a rinse.
Agitate at each step.
There was still a lot of blue showing, so I dunked and agitated it in the washing soda again and then back in the tea and it started to turn brown.
Last, a clear water rinse in the utility sink in our garage, then the print was hung to dry.
I tried a few different variations of the above, using prints from the past that didn’t make the cut. I have a whole folder of them. Success with cyanotype has not come easy.
The toning saved a few of those rejects.